Tuesday, April 6, 2010

banksy

if you were to ask me who my favorite visual artist is right now, whether paint, sculpture or any form of visual art, i would readily say Banksy. for those of you who don't know who he is, he's a revolutionary street artist from england whose use of stencils has changed the face of modern graffiti. his pieces adorn run down buildings and billboards all over major cities around the world and they often make use of the surroundings in a way not imagined before. in order to avoid prosecution, he's extremely secretive about his identity. he's been known to go into an art gallery and place one of his works on the wall in a framed canvas. his paintings convey messages that have to do with hypocrisy and are frequently subversive to the surveillance state that is ever-present in england. the last time i was in new york i had heard that his art was popping up so imagine my surprise when i found this one:


click to enlarge

anyway, there's a documentary being made about him with behind the scenes footage of him creating his art. also, you should check out his website to see his many works of art at http://www.banksy.co.uk. what's kinda awesome is that if he were to reveal himself, he would surely be prosecuted, but many of his works are now being copied and sold for lots and lots of money. one store owner in england had a lengthy court battle when the city wanted to paint over the banksy mural that she had grown to love on the building that she owns.


anyway, the reason i'm excited is because a new trailer for the movie just came out. here it is:



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's a movie coming out? that's awesome. I remember my art teacher showing me a book full of banksy art in high school. very revolutionary and very cynical and definitely very bold.

nickbaumhardt said...

ya his work is incredible. i can't wait for the movie

About Me

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos; that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" --Hi Fidelity


Hey guys, my name is Nick Baumhardt. I help write and record music. I also play guitar for Thousand Foot Krutch and FM Static.

These are my thoughts on music, art, politics, food, recording and whatever else I feel like writing about.

For more info about my producing, go to www.NickBaumhardt.com or myspace.com/nickbaumhardt
Check out my new site dedicated to fly fishing - Rhythm Fly Fishing
Follow me on Twitter!!! My twitter name is @nickbaumhardt