Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Don't Play For TFK Anymore

many people have asked me over tweets and comments about my status with TFK. the rumors are true. i am no longer the guitarist for TFK.

it was a good gig that lasted about 3 years but i guess all good things must come to an end. the who and the when are easy to answer, but the why is a little harder. the more i think about it, it probably lasted longer than it should have and was probably prolonged by my friendship with trev. i've always known that i come from a music world vastly different from the other guys. for example, my favorite band is Jimmy Eat World. i'm going to the Tegan and Sara concert next week. i love the new Passion Pit record and my guilty pleasure is that i own everything that All Time Low has recorded. Steve, Joel and Trev listen to Sevendust, Chevelle, 3 Days Grace and Finger Eleven. i'm not bashing it, but they're totally different worlds. i love gibson guitars, boutique heads and classic tone. again, i'm not bashing this stuff. it's just a different world.

the band said we could say that it was a mutual split (or whatever i wanted to call it), but i'd feel like i was being dishonest if i said so. the truth is they wanted a change. it was pretty hard to hear the news coming from a guy i consider one of my best friends. trev was the best man at my wedding a little over a year ago. but we're still cool.

some have asked how they can so easily get rid of me and the answer is simple. i was just a hired guitar player. even though all of the pictures and music videos portrayed me as a member of the band, I was not an owner of the business like the other guys. nevertheless, i tried to jump in head first. even though i never had a financial stake in the band, it was fun to feel like a part of something bigger so i enjoyed helping out in ways beyond just playing guitar because it was fun. i did interviews that weren't always required. i programmed some of the transition music between songs in the set.

like i said, it was a good gig and i'm glad to have been a part of it. if not, i never would have met so many of you at shows all over the world. i've been to germany, holland, canada, australia and pretty much every state in the US because of the band. the real irony is that i earned my coveted elite status on northwest/delta airlines a few weeks before they let me go. the guys and i are still cool. we actually see each other now and then. my wife and i still hang out with trev and erin, although i'd be lying if i said it wasn't a little weird. but sometimes you gotta just make a decision to not let things be weird.

but the good news is that i got another gig playing for Gotee artist Stephanie Smith. It's actually a lot of fun. She may not sell as many records as TFK but i enjoy playing her stuff and musically it's definitely a better fit. we recently played an Acquire The Fire event on the same day as TFK. while i've always thought of myself as one of the miscellaneous band guys in the background, one kid took a TFK poster and brought it over to Stephanie's booth for me to sign because my picture is still on it and then ran back over to the TFK booth to have the rest of the guys sign it. i was genuinely surprised that not only did she know who i was, but that she figured out that i was playing for Steph with completely different clothes and hair. i'm sure there's a number of you reading this who started following my blog and my twitter just because of the fact that i played for TFK, but i've definitely enjoyed playing for you all and hope that you'll stick around even though i'm playing for someone else now.

so that's it. the secret is out. the speculation can end....as all good things must.

17 comments:

ParisPink said...

Congrats on the new gig! Very excited for you! You are living a dream so many wish to be :)

Katie McNeil said...

You know, I really respect that a lot. The honesty is good.

And to be honest, I feel a lot about music like you...TFK is a good band, for sure, but not as much my style.

And I know you'll be amazing with Stephanie. She is a talent. You are a talent. It all fits together. ;)

Anonymous said...

Although it sucks to hear that your not in TFK anymore and I'm one of those who knew of you because of TFK, I'll still follow you on twitter, you have a nice outlook on life and I hope you the best in future endeavors. I remember when you and the guys played in Anderson, IN and on the keyboard you did "Stronger" Daft Punk (Kayne West version) and it was nice to hear that blend with the rock that TFK brings at a show TFK has/is/will always be my favorite band, but I'm glad they included you along the ride for the past 3 years. Godspeed.

nickbaumhardt said...

thanks gina, katie and mr. anonymous. that means a lot

Katie McNeil said...

Oh, and I do have a question-are you still gonna play with FM Static or did that kind of come with the job of being in TFK?

Cassidy Johnston said...

I mean, I've been a tfk fan since I was 10. I'm 15. It sucks because I wish they would find someone to stick. I really it used to you. I've met you, you were nice. I remember going through the line and you guys were introducing yourselves and you didn't have to for me. I proceeded saying hi, Nick, I'm Cassidy. You were shocked that I knew your name. I saw it on your face. I hope you keep your friendship with Trevor strong. He's a great guy with a huge heart. I'm gonna miss you playing FM Static and TFK but hey, if it's best... I'm not a stephanie smith fan but I'll show you guys some support at Creation. It's a big change from Puppet to Superstar but eh. You gotta do what you gotta do. I almost wish we would have known this sooner because it came as like a shock. An unpleasant one. I wish you well with whatever you have planned next.

Tracy said...

Good luck with whatever you do! I started reading your blog and follow you on twitter because of tfk, but will hang around because you are cool in your own right! Hope you remain friends with the guys because Nashvegas is an overgrown small town and your bound to run into each other from time to time. Keep your chin up and following your heart! God bless!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for telling us the details about this! Although i will be depressed for awhile, I'm sure you'll have a good time playing with Stephanie Smith! (and although I'm not too keen on that kind of music i might go to her show just cause your playing guitar) You're awesome Nick!

and i also started reading this blog because of tfk, but i'll keep reading it becasue of you're awesomeness

Anonymous said...

The end of another chapter in your life. Good luck with Stephanie and don't forget that you are awesome :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are doing something more your style and are doing it for God. I wasn't in a signed band but anyways. I was in a band and was asked to leave and to be quite honest it hurt and I didn't want to. They put all this I prayed to God stuff in there and it made it even harder for me. I talked to God and I didn't hear that! I was best friends with one and friends with the other and soon the akwardness will go away. I think mine and your situations are different but it was hard for me and I don't know how it was for you.

Kacie J said...

No matter what you do gods got his hand in it cus he gave you the gift you have! and thats all that matter im glad i got to see you play shows with TFk and maybe i will get to see you do some with Stephinie(speelin?) someday if she around where I live. lol. Keep on doing what you do <3 U are amazing

Jailynn said...

Congratulations on your new gig. Whatever you do, I hope it makes you happy. =) And for the record, you're cool. Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Ah man I have to say I will miss you being with TFK. You seriously fit in man. This new dude is a total turn off, I might not even come to a show. If I do come and you're there too I want you sign my stuff. But you're an awesome dude so will be keeping up with you on FB and on here. :D I really like Stephanie Smith so that's awesome that you're playing with her, you fit in with her too.

~Kinsey~
Best of luck with the new gig.

nickbaumhardt said...

thanks everybody. i'm pleasantly surprised and humbled by your responses

hope said...

*sniff* *sniff* You are such a cool dude!!! I hate that you aren't w/ TFK anymore! That's a real bummer. But I'm glad you are playing with Stephanie so maybe I can meet you someday. If I ever do it will be awesome!! I wish you the best of luck with your new gig. I look forward to reading more updates and tweets!

Tricia Baumhardt said...

You have an amazing way with words, my dear. You are honest, not too harsh, but its always refreshing for me to read even though I'm sure I allready know what you're writing. We all have the right to express our thoughts and experiences and it's what makes people love what you write. You don't limit yourself to overthinking what might offend or be taken a certain way. I love it. I've learned a lot about writing from you. You'll be amazing at whatever you do..very sweet that so many tfk fans will miss you!

your wifey

Anonymous said...

Nick,
I just came across your blog and I know this is an old one, but I had to comment. I'm sorry things went the way they did with TFK. I was wondering why you weren't playing at their concerts anymore. I hope you still have good relationships with the band cuz it would suck to lose your friends. Us fans miss you, you're awesome! Hope the gig with Stephanie and your other new projects are going well :) And I am a big TFK fan but plan to follow your blog cuz you seem like a good dude. God bless!

About Me

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos; that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" --Hi Fidelity


Hey guys, my name is Nick Baumhardt. I help write and record music. I also play guitar for Thousand Foot Krutch and FM Static.

These are my thoughts on music, art, politics, food, recording and whatever else I feel like writing about.

For more info about my producing, go to www.NickBaumhardt.com or myspace.com/nickbaumhardt
Check out my new site dedicated to fly fishing - Rhythm Fly Fishing
Follow me on Twitter!!! My twitter name is @nickbaumhardt