Friday, October 15, 2010

doctor visit

ok, i got a weird one for ya. a week and a half ago my ear started acting funny. like, really funny. i actually started hearing everything in a lower pitch in my left ear. seriously. if i whistled, i heard two distinctly different notes. i started to get freaked out that i was losing my hearing.

we were stuck in LA on some days off so somehow i found my way to a clinic in West LA. i'll make a long story short - the doctor saw me and said it was just an ear infection. i was relieved. anyway, he prescribed some ear drops and told me i could buy them for only $75 from him and that at a pharmacy they are normally $150. well, naturally, i was skeptical. when's the last time your doctor tried to sell you something? so i made some excuse and didn't buy it. the last week and a half i either didn't have a chance to get to a pharmacy or flat out forgot to get the prescription. i was just happy that it was just an ear infection and i wasn't losing my hearing.

today i finally had some free time to go get it filled. walgreens didn't have the drug. apparently it's not really used a lot. they suggested a more common drug that's very similar and universally used for ear infections. so they called the doctor, got the ok and switched it. as they were ringing it up, i braced myself for the total. i was expecting something brutal - easily over $100. but when she told me the amount, it was only $30. and no, that wasn't after an insurance co-pay.

so my question is this: was that first doctor just screwy? is it normal for a doctor to prescribe the more expensive and less-commonly used drug specifically so he can sell it to you right then and there in his office for a highly inflated price?

note to self: don't go to clinics in West LA.

2 comments:

Leandro said...

Hi, I'm here to ask you something, that maybe will change many lifes in a country that Stellar Kart had never go. I'm talkin' about Brazil... I know it's really hard your job, but if you don't like it, you wouldn't do it. Next year Barlowgirl will be here again, and why not Stellar Kart? That's my ask, sorry for my english. thanks.

nickbaumhardt said...

hi Leandro, thanks for writing! we would LOVE to come to brazil. but for us to come out there, someone has to set up a concert and hire us to come play a show. if you really want us to come to Brazil, find out who is setting up the concerts and tell them you want us to come out there.

About Me

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos; that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" --Hi Fidelity


Hey guys, my name is Nick Baumhardt. I help write and record music. I also play guitar for Thousand Foot Krutch and FM Static.

These are my thoughts on music, art, politics, food, recording and whatever else I feel like writing about.

For more info about my producing, go to www.NickBaumhardt.com or myspace.com/nickbaumhardt
Check out my new site dedicated to fly fishing - Rhythm Fly Fishing
Follow me on Twitter!!! My twitter name is @nickbaumhardt