Friday, October 30, 2009

this is getting ridiculous

new york state declared a state of emergency because of 75 cases (in the entire state) of swine flu. seriously? someone look me in the eye and tell me that this is a rational decision. i'm no conspiracy theory nut, but good lord, i can use my brain and maybe a quick google search to realize that you're more likely to die from the regular flu than the swine flu.


we're all gonna die because of this guy

really? seriously america? i thought you were smarter than this. i mean, don't get me wrong, i love me some good old fashioned hysteria as much as the next guy, but this is getting out of hand. i see people wearing masks at airports like we're in freaking japan a couple years ago when SARS was a big deal. remember that pandemic? oh wait. it never happened. out of the entire 6 billion people in the world a grand total of a few hundred actually died.


at least he's having fun with it

oh, and remember the bird flu scare? ya. i'd rest my case but the jury doesn't seem to be able to connect the dots on the obvious. B. Reith got the swine flu and had to miss the show tonight. did we hold a prayer vigil? NOPE. does that mean we're bad christians or we don't care about him? ABSOLUTELY NOT. we didn't because it's not a big deal. i'm fighting off a sore throat right now but you don't see calling my church board to lay hands on me or running the nearest faith healer. i'm going to get a lot of sleep and make sure i dress appropriately for the cold. DONE.

is america really this stupid? NO. but we are being easily duped. the long form answer to that question is hidden in the motivations of the modern day town criers we call network news. news channels' ratings skyrocket when something big happens. on 9/11 we ALL were watching news networks. but the problem is that big stuff doesn't happen all the time. so what do they do to keep ratings up and the paychecks coming? they take little things and make them into big things. or at least they seem that way. watch any of them for an hour and ask yourself if those "BREAKING NEWS" graphics and sound effects are really warranted when all they are doing is spreading the latest celebrity gossip. we were all afraid on 9/11. fear sells. so it's in their best interest for everything to be outrageous and scary. it's not a conspiracy originating from the top down. they don't have secret illuminati meetings about how to control the population. it just happens the same way that a person's dinner bill goes up when someone else is paying. and so that's how a minimal, yet legit, scare about the swine flu becomes a mass pandemic on par with some sort of will smith zombie movie. and then the politicians jump in because it's an opportunity for them to appear as if they're helping the public when in reality emergency status for a state is basically a ploy to get disaster funds. better to be doing something wrong than nothing at all, right?



the answer? don't let them fool you. take everything they say with a grain of salt. i was once told that nothing on TV is 100% real and i'm really starting to believe it. use your head. rant rant rant rant robble robble robble robble.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I agree with you. I think it is also crazy how if someone coughs or sneezes or has a sore throat everyone thinks "Swine Flu!" There are so many other colds and viruses out there, there is more that just swine flu. The news and government must love the money they are getting from all this. Also doctors are getting good money from this too with the swine flu shot and then anyone who is sick wants to go to the doctor now because they think they have swine flu.

Patrick Copeland said...

This is what I put on Twitter after Obama came out and declared it a "National Emergency" -

Obama may have declared swine flu as a national emergency, but it is *not* an actual emergency. Wash your hands, people

And Jenny said it best that Doctors and Pharm companies are raking in the cash. When it's declared a national emergency, the lobbyists on the hill can whisper that we need to make vaccines mandatory. Big bucks indeed.

That's no conspiracy theory. That's day to day politics.

Nakita Nevers said...

I totally agree with you. I'm not panicking because there isn't enough of the vaccine, and I don't plan to get it. I've never gotten the seasonal flu shot, and in all the years that I have gone without a flu shot, I haven't gotten the flu. I work in a daycare, hand sanitizer & Vitamin C are my best friends, just like every year. People will die, just as with the seasonal flu, it's not a state of emergency. Yesterday on the news, a doctor said that the symptoms of the swine flu are the same as for the seasonal flu....... so now everybody with the seasonal flu is suddenly going to have the swine flu. It's foolishness, and I'm sick of hearing about it on the news.

nickbaumhardt said...

ok good. i'm glad i'm not crazy. and yes, you could write a few pages alone on the involvement of drum companies and fiscal motivations or the vaccine.

hope said...

Hype rocks! If you are the gov't or a doctor or a drug company or for the most part, with the exception of Glenn Beck :), news media. Yes, they thrive off of our fear. They love to see people get antsy.

My Mom said that the CDC quit testing for "swine flu" during the summer. If your doctor does tell you that you have H1N1, you can't be sure 'cause I heard it takes a week or two before he can see the results.

Did you know that in most of the "swine flu deaths" the flu was NOT the main cause and that previously existing conditions led to death? I thought that was interesting. Most people recover in a few days, and can go back to work or school safely.

I agree with you, Nick! I think they are the crazy ones. LOL!

Sherry Hovey said...

Schools are even shutting down. There was one case in a high school a town over and they shut almost all the schools in the district! i personally find it pathetic that these many people are worrying so much about it! Like you said, more people will die from the normal flu than oink flu. Calm the heck down people!

About Me

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos; that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" --Hi Fidelity


Hey guys, my name is Nick Baumhardt. I help write and record music. I also play guitar for Thousand Foot Krutch and FM Static.

These are my thoughts on music, art, politics, food, recording and whatever else I feel like writing about.

For more info about my producing, go to www.NickBaumhardt.com or myspace.com/nickbaumhardt
Check out my new site dedicated to fly fishing - Rhythm Fly Fishing
Follow me on Twitter!!! My twitter name is @nickbaumhardt