Wednesday, October 14, 2009

ear candles

so today we had a day off in roanoke, VA on our way to the show tomorrow in lancaster, PA. clay and tom and i were at a mall in a GNC store looking for protein suppliments, weight gain shakes, anabolic steroids and human growth hormone. just kidding about those last two. so anyway, tom and I noticed some ear candles. i'd heard about these but never actually tried it. for those of you who don't know, they are hollow beeswax candles that you stick in your ear. you light the wax at the other end and apparently the heat draws the wax out of your ears in a massive goopy mess. i kinda wanted to try it. i ended up coming back to actually buy the candles ($9.00 for two candles - one for each ear). but on closer inspection of the package i found this:



i know the picture is kinda blurry, so here's what it says: "Contrary to some beliefs, this ancient practice does not extract ear wax out of your ears."

ok, so i had heard that these candles were kinda B.S. but i was going to try it anyway. but since they pretty much wrote it on the package...i mean, i figured i was wasting $9. but when i actually KNEW i was wasting $9 then the decision to not buy it became pretty clear.

moral of the story? don't just accept what you hear. figure it out for yourself. sometimes the truth is staring you in the face....or sticking you in the ear.

5 comments:

Hnlover01(Emily) said...

My bother did that once.. They WORK. its KINDA Cool how its works but its does

Holly said...

My dad tried that once. Not sure if it worked or not though...

Anonymous said...

my old roommate and lifelong friend actually gets build up in her ears quite often (ear aches and all) and she uses the candles. She actually made me light the candles for her once and made me hold the candle still while it worked. It actually does work...as long as you know what youre doing. its fascinating to see what exactly comes out in the whole "Gooey mess".... but it does relieve her earaches. -Debs

Miko said...

Ear candles don't suck wax out with any vacuume effect. Ear candling is a centuries old method, dated back more than 2000 years ago. Egyptians, Myans, Aztecs, etc. used this method. The company in your picture will actually tell you why they dont suck up the wax and the correct way the ear candles work.

http://www.wallysnatural.com/ear-candling-faq

nickbaumhardt said...

Ok, so they don't suck earwax out and the only effect is that it sooths you. Now we've got it straight

About Me

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos; that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" --Hi Fidelity


Hey guys, my name is Nick Baumhardt. I help write and record music. I also play guitar for Thousand Foot Krutch and FM Static.

These are my thoughts on music, art, politics, food, recording and whatever else I feel like writing about.

For more info about my producing, go to www.NickBaumhardt.com or myspace.com/nickbaumhardt
Check out my new site dedicated to fly fishing - Rhythm Fly Fishing
Follow me on Twitter!!! My twitter name is @nickbaumhardt