Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Things I've Learned This Week

1. The Law of St. Nick: the strand of christmas tree lights that are the hardest to reach are the ones most likely to go out prematurely

2. if you ever try to re-create KFC's 11 herbs and spices original recipe fried chicken, it's gonna take a LOT of experimentation before you get anything that doesn't taste horrible. i learned this the hard way.

3. lately i've been realizing how in the grand scheme of recording, vocals account for about 85% of whether or not it's considered a good recording. for any singer, some days are just not good days to sing. when that happens, instead of getting frustrated and having them do a million takes (which makes their voice even worse), it's better to just work another day.

4. if your tires work out great and last 30,000 miles longer than they were supposed to, you can be sure the company that makes those tires will discontinue them so as not to make that mistake again.

5. frying a turkey is definitely the way to go. ok, technically that's not recently. i learned that a few weeks ago at thanksgiving, but seriously, do yourself a favor and skip the oven. no more dried out white meat.

6. Edy's grape and lime fruit juice popsicles dominate all other frozen treats. if you disagree, Edy herself will punch you in the face.

7. Preparation pays off. Here's a story for you: about 5 years ago it snowed in nashville around christmas. but nobody here sells sleds. so you know what i did? i asked for a sled for christmas from my family in illinois. they were confused, but nevertheless they obliged me and bought me a plastic sled. that sled has stayed in my basement since then. BUT THEN it snowed 4 or 5 inches on sunday. my day of reckoning had arrived. my new place has a big hill in the back. @davidmolnar came over with his snowboard and we were 12 years old again. THE END.

8. the biggest enemy of my productivity is angry birds

9. I am the Lord of Catan

10. watched the new narnia movie. SPOILER ALERT - the lion is jesus

11. Last Christmas is the best Christmas song ever written. there. i said it. thank you george michael.

12. the new my chemical romance record is awesome.

13. @davidmolnar is the best backup swayer i've ever known.


that's all for now!

nick

6 comments:

Sky Destrian said...

Okay, I agree with #3. My friend was out here for a week and we were trying to record our amateur album. Sadly, she caught a cold or something, so her voice wasn't up to par. She sounded fine the first couple of tracks, but by the time we called it quits her voice was just done. We decided to try to record it from across the country rather than have it sound terrible. So yes, the vocals definitely determine whether it's a good record or not. >.<

*gasp* THE LION IS JESUS? Dang it. You just spoiled the whole movie for me. ;)

hope said...

Frying is always the way to when it comes to poultry! My family eats a lot of fried chicken. I was kind of depressed when I found out that my mom is roasting one instead of frying it tonight. :(

I live for sledding in the winter! I love it. That is, unless I am dragging my little sisters around in one. :)

anna :) said...

amen to number 3! singing is hard, and being an amateur, i know this for a fact. i practice for at least a month or more just to sing a special at church or something for school. so i feel adam's pain. well, maybe not QUITE as much, but, eh, a little bit of it.

how dare you! the lion is Jesus?! gosh, you didn't have to ruin the whole movie for me. ;)

blessings always & forever,
anna :)

Anonymous said...

Any news on the Sweet Secret EP?
THX Nick for the blog you make my day.

Wayne said...

Nick please post again i miss your blog.

P.S. your live show was awesome .I was in Wooster OH!!!!!

Sarah said...

have to agree.. last christmas really is the best christmas song...love to listen to it <3

About Me

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos; that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" --Hi Fidelity


Hey guys, my name is Nick Baumhardt. I help write and record music. I also play guitar for Thousand Foot Krutch and FM Static.

These are my thoughts on music, art, politics, food, recording and whatever else I feel like writing about.

For more info about my producing, go to www.NickBaumhardt.com or myspace.com/nickbaumhardt
Check out my new site dedicated to fly fishing - Rhythm Fly Fishing
Follow me on Twitter!!! My twitter name is @nickbaumhardt