Friday, November 12, 2010

my mom, a.k.a. life hacker

one of the benefits of playing in a christian rock band is that every now and then i can get tickets to other shows for my family. my mom called me yesterday excited because tobymac and skillet were coming through my hometown of springfield, IL. so of course, i called a friend who got her on the list. i texted her back the good news that she was on the list. later that night she texted me that she had a great time at the show and said thanks.

now this would be a boring story if it ended there. but thankfully, it doesn't.

i got a message from my friend today saying "hey nick! i'm so terribly sorry i was thinking ur mom needed comps for the Springfield, MO show the first week of december and just now realized it was last night's show. did she end up going? pls pass along my apologies if she did try :("

that is the exact text. if you don't believe me, notice the emoticon and shortened spelling of "your" into "ur."

now here's where it gets good. this is one of the reasons my mom is awesome. she managed to get in. long time readers of my blog may remember me occasionally talking about how sometimes just acting like you know what you're doing and acting like you're supposed to be there will get you far. my mom understands this concept COMPLETELY. there is no security guard alive who can keep my mom from getting backstage. anyway, apparently when the people at the ticket desk couldn't find the tickets that were never left, my mom just told them that her son is in stellar kart and he called his buddies and her tickets should be there. i'm not sure exactly what she said, but they ended up giving her tickets.

my mom beats the system like it's her job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She uses this concept to over rule me on a regular basis - Dad

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! That is awesome!

Jackie said...

Well, what can I say... I'm proud of my son!

About Me

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos; that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" --Hi Fidelity


Hey guys, my name is Nick Baumhardt. I help write and record music. I also play guitar for Thousand Foot Krutch and FM Static.

These are my thoughts on music, art, politics, food, recording and whatever else I feel like writing about.

For more info about my producing, go to www.NickBaumhardt.com or myspace.com/nickbaumhardt
Check out my new site dedicated to fly fishing - Rhythm Fly Fishing
Follow me on Twitter!!! My twitter name is @nickbaumhardt