Thursday, January 14, 2010

a new year

here we are. another new year. and what do we do on new years? we resolve. we make resolutions. is it cheesy and cliche? of course it is. is that a good reason to not do it? NOPE. i'm a firm believer in having goals. and this year, my goal is to write every day (songwriting, specifically) . Even if it's just one line. Even if it's just one riff. I've heard so many great writers talking about developing the discipline to write every day so i've decided to try out their advice. the hardest part is motivating myself. cause right now i'm all fired up. but next week i won't have the willpower to do it. how do you force your will to do something that it doesn't want to do? you enlist the help of others. so i've gotten 4 people in my life who have committed to call me once a week for the next year to push, shove and gently nudge me to keep writing.

and it's working great so far. i haven't missed a day. it's actually incredibly liberating. here's how my writing cycle used to work:

1. write a song by agonizing over lyrics and melody for many hours
2. neglect to write for 3 or 4 weeks because i'm so burned out from the previous day
3. feel guilty cause i haven't written in so long
4. finally muster up the willpower to agonize over another song
5. go back to step one

but now i just write a little bit every day. a verse melody today. chorus melody tomorrow. verse lyrics after that.....and before you know it i've got a finished song and it seems so easy that i'm even more pumped about doing more writing. and another cool thing is that the people who i asked to remind me once a week are very important to me and it's a great way to keep in touch with them. so there's my resolution. i'll let you know how it goes in a year.

Also, there's this:



my photographer extraordinaire friend david molnar ( www.DavidMolnar.com ) and his wife treated me and trish to a showing of Avatar. We saw it in 3D at the Imax in nashville and it was incredible. seriously. love love love love loved it. ya know how sometimes when a movie is built up like it's this huge thing it lets you down even though it's a good movie? well, i kinda wondered if that would happen. but i STILL thought it was amazing even though it was so built up in my head. if you haven't seen it yet, i would definitely recommend 3D imax. such a cool experience.

And lastly, this:


The guys in Silverline ( www.myspace.com/silverlinemusic )were hanging out at my studio for about three days where we wrote and did some work on their songs for their new album. they're a good bunch of guys. if you haven't heard them, you should check them out. also, whatever you do, DO NOT go to google images and search for "silverline" because i just did and the first image is gross. seriously. this isn't a joke. don't do it.

ok that's it for now. talk to you all later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha funny you mentioned avatar..... I just saw it and it was so amazing!!! Didnt they like spend 15 years makin it?

nickbaumhardt said...

ya, i read an article about how james cameron came up with the concept shortly after seeing the first star wars and could have made the movie in the late 80's or early 90's but chose to wait until the technology caught up with the script

About Me

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos; that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" --Hi Fidelity


Hey guys, my name is Nick Baumhardt. I help write and record music. I also play guitar for Thousand Foot Krutch and FM Static.

These are my thoughts on music, art, politics, food, recording and whatever else I feel like writing about.

For more info about my producing, go to www.NickBaumhardt.com or myspace.com/nickbaumhardt
Check out my new site dedicated to fly fishing - Rhythm Fly Fishing
Follow me on Twitter!!! My twitter name is @nickbaumhardt